Everybody Brands Podcast with Brian Soy
Beloved and Dominant Brands: A Conversation with David Lemley
Brand Strategist and agency principal David Lemley thrives at the intersection of culture and the outdoors and proves meaningful impact isn’t relegated to Manhattan. David helped put the Pacific Northwest on the map as a thought leader in design, working with brands that are ambitious, fearless, and out to change the world. He believes that brand should inspire deep and meaningful connections with real people and enthusiastically do good.
David Lemley has had a creative and strategic hand in shaping some of the world’s most iconic brands including Starbucks, REI, Pampers, and Nintendo. As the Founder and Chief Strategist of Seattle-based Retail Voodoo, David is on a mission to help better-for-you brands win customer’s hearts, minds, and souls. He partners with marketers, investors, and founder-owners to unlock the power of their brand’s promise to engage consumers, spark innovation, identify opportunity, and drive exponential growth.
This episode is brought to you by Aespire Websites Made Simple, the visual website builder that helps you build a professional site that grows with your business.
David Lemley published his first book, Beloved and Dominant Brands: The Brand Ecosystem that Drives Better-for-you Brands from One of Many to Category Prominence, a highlight of the very first model David and Retail Voodoo uses in their brand strategy development process.
Some of the questions David and Brian discuss include:
- In an age where people care more about “what’s in it for me,” are you finding that consumers are still really tied in with the “Why?”
- Based on industry and a culture perspective, how do you define branding?
- What are some of the myths that you encounter around branding?
- What do you tell someone who doesn’t believe their brand is a valuable business asset?
- How can a business and brand do a better job of using story to keep promises?
As you listen, you’ll learn about a mutual colleague whom David counts as a major influence on his thinking and interviews in Beloved and Dominant Brands.