Wouldn’t it be nice if there was a drink that tasted great and gave you a boost — without the unhealthy ingredients?
Holly Lyman thought so too. That’s why she started experimenting with beverages using the Jun culture. It’s a rare cousin of kombucha, an ancient ferment known as an elixir of life and enlightenment. While kombucha uses cane sugar, the Jun culture is made from honey. There’s plenty of folklore surrounding its origins — some say the monks used it for energy. The Jun culture has been passed on for generations but never commercialized… until now.
In this episode of the Gooder Podcast, Diana Fryc is joined by Holly Lyman, Founder and Queen Bee of Wild Tonic, to discuss her journey to create a revolutionary, healthy beverage. Holly talks about how she discovered the amazing qualities of honey, her transition from art to beverages, and the challenges she overcame while building up Wild Tonic.
In this episode we learn:
- Holly Lyman describes her transition from a career in art to fermentation and the connection between the two
- How Holly developed Wild Tonic and why she chose the Jun culture for brewing
- The process of learning to ferment and brew
- Personal and professional challenges Holly overcame while building up Wild Tonic
- How did Holly’s team of experts come together?
- Holly shares her proudest moments
- Advice for women trying to break into the beverage industry
- The amazing qualities of honey
- Holly gives a shout out to other trailblazing leaders in the beverage industry
About Holly Lyman
Holly Lyman is the Founder of Wild Tonic, a brand of Good Omen Bottling. She is an encaustic artist from Alaska who has mastered the ancient art of Jun kombucha, among other ferments, and grows many of the ingredients on her ranch in Sedona. Holly’s interest in fermentation stems from her days as an artist, using beeswax as her main medium. This transformed into working with honey, which later transitioned into a fascination with a rare ferment known as Jun. After years of brewing experiments with this live culture, Wild Tonic was born.
Holly’s company is recognized by the Women’s Business Enterprise National Council as a certified women-owned business. She also prioritizes the promotion of women into management positions and considers it a foundation of her company.
Guests Social Media Links:
- Holly Lyman on LinkedIn
- Wild Tonic
- Find Wild Tonic near you
- The Art of Fermentation by Sandor Ellix Katz
- Cameron Healy on LinkedIn
- Diana Fryc on LinkedIn
- Retail Voodoo
- Dr. Jeremy Weisz on LinkedIn
Sponsor for this episode…
This episode is brought to you by Retail Voodoo.
Retail Voodoo has been building beloved and dominant brands in the food, wellness, beverage, and fitness CPG industries for over 30 years. They’ve served multinational companies like PepsiCo. and Starbucks, startups like High Key, and everything in between.
Their proven process guides hundreds of mission-driven consumer brands to attract a broad and passionate fan base, crush their categories through growth and innovation, and magnify their social and environmental impact.
So, if you are ready to find a partner that will help your business create a high-impact strategy that gives your brand an advantage, Retail Voodoo is here to help.