Many companies face a disconnect between their marketing and PR departments. But what kind of growth could your company experience if you bridged the gap?
Jess Windell created Maven Consulting to link the PR and marketing departments. While most people think of PR as media relations, Jess thinks of it as any relationship you have with a stakeholder that matters to your business. She knows how to answer questions including, “How do I build better relationships with my investors?” and “How do I clarify my message and get it in front of the audience?”
In this episode of the Gooder Podcast, Diana Fryc is joined by the Founder of Maven Consulting, Jess Windell, to discuss connecting your PR and marketing strategies. Jess clarifies some misconceptions about PR, explains why she wanted to create her own agency, and gives tips about how to develop better business relationships.
In this episode we learn:
- Jess Windell talks about why she started Maven Consulting
- What does PR mean to Jess?
- Jess dives into the purpose and impact of Naturally San Diego and the pivotal moments in her career
- Why is there a disconnect between PR and marketing?
- The tipping point: when did Jess decide it was time to create her own agency?
- The importance of systems vs. customizing the process every time you work with a new client
- What are some misconceptions surrounding PR?
- Options for working with Maven Consulting
- Tips for developing business relationships
- Why do people avoid planning for crisis management, and what can you do to prepare?
- How Jess handled the crisis when a free snack coupon accidentally went viral
- What brands and trends is Jess keeping her eye on?
About Jess Windell:
Jess Windell is the Founder of Maven Consulting, a strategic communications and public relations consultancy. Jess launched Maven Consulting in 2020 to help consumer brands get their PR strategy on the right track using the necessary tools for growth.
Jess Windell has spent 12 years working in public relations. Her previous roles include the Vice President of BAM, a PR agency, and the PR Consultant for Perfect Snacks, a fresh snack brand leader. Jess is also the current Vice President of Naturally San Diego, a nonprofit organization and business network that fosters sustainability and develops leadership in the San Diego natural products community.
Guests Social Media Links:
LinkedIn Jess Windell: https://www.linkedin.com/in/jessicawindell/
- Jess Windell on LinkedIn
- Naturally San Diego
- Naturally San Diego’s events
- Perfect Snacks
- Natural Products Expo West
- Sara Brooks of Covet PR
- Mission MightyMe
- Diana Fryc on LinkedIn
- Retail Voodoo
Sponsor for this episode…
This episode is brought to you by Retail Voodoo.
Retail Voodoo has been building beloved and dominant brands in the food, wellness, beverage, and fitness CPG industries for over 30 years. They’ve served multinational companies like PepsiCo. and Starbucks, startups like High Key, and everything in between.
Their proven process guides hundreds of mission-driven consumer brands to attract a broad and passionate fan base, crush their categories through growth and innovation, and magnify their social and environmental impact.
So, if you are ready to find a partner that will help your business create a high-impact strategy that gives your brand an advantage, Retail Voodoo is here to help.