Dates. Are we talking about going out to dinner or the fruit that grandmas eat?
Neither. We’re talking about the sweet, nutritious fruit that is for everyone. Grown in southern California under the year-round sunshine, Medjool dates are naturally sweet and a great source of dietary fiber, magnesium, and copper. While they may have previously held a reputation as an old-people snack, Amanda Sains is on a mission to change that — and she’s succeeding. Thanks to her branding and marketing expertise, Joolies California Superfruit is offering dates as a better-for-you snack that millennials are snatching up. So, how did Amanda turn around the reputation of a brown, wrinkly fruit?
In this episode of the Gooder Podcast, Diana Fryc is joined by Amanda Sains, Director of Marketing at Joolies California Superfruit, to discuss how she is bridging the gap between branded food and commoditized produce. Amanda shares how Joolies got started, why she is passionate about the better-for-you industry, and how she is reaching new audiences with strategic marketing. She also opens up about maintaining a healthy work-life balance while working towards big goals.
In this episode we learn:
- Amanda Sains describes Joolies’ origin story
- How Amanda is sharing dates with millennials through her branding strategy
- Why Amanda became passionate about the better-for-you food industry
- Advice for loving your job without letting it take over your identity
- The path that led Amanda to marketing with Joolies
- Amanda shares her mentor’s advice: know your worth and don’t be afraid to ask for more
- Current marketing hurdles for Joolies
- Amanda’s proudest moments: seeing Joolies dates on the store shelf and in people’s grocery carts
- Why making time for self-care is essential and how to recognize when your bottle is full
- Believe in yourself and know that you are capable
About Amanda Sains
Amanda Sains is the Director of Marketing at Joolies California Superfruit. Joolies offers California-grown, organic Medjool dates as a delicious and healthy snack. As Director of Marketing, Amanda bridges the gap between branded food and commoditized produce. She is a passionate brand builder by nature and comes from multiple functional CPG companies.
Previously, Amanda was the Director of Marketing and Business Development at B’more Organic and the Director of Marketing at Vive Organic. She is currently the Marketing Director for Desert Valley Date. Amanda holds both a BS and MS from West Virginia University.
Guests Social Media Links:
- Amanda Sains on LinkedIn
- Joolies California Superfruit
- Joolies on Instagram
- Desert Valley Date
- Amrit Richmond on LinkedIn
- Indie CPG
- The Three Marriages: Reimagining Work, Self and Relationship by David Whyte
- Diana Fryc on LinkedIn
- Retail Voodoo
Sponsor for this episode…
This episode is brought to you by Retail Voodoo.
Retail Voodoo has been building beloved and dominant brands in the food, wellness, beverage, and fitness CPG industries for over 30 years. They’ve served multinational companies like PepsiCo. and Starbucks, startups like High Key, and everything in between.
Their proven process guides hundreds of mission-driven consumer brands to attract a broad and passionate fan base, crush their categories through growth and innovation, and magnify their social and environmental impact.
So, if you are ready to find a partner that will help your business create a high-impact strategy that gives your brand an advantage, Retail Voodoo is here to help.