Many people assume that in order to create healthier food, all you have to do is find the right ingredients. But is that really all it takes?
Robyn O’Brien understands that to provide nutritious foods, you have to go back to the roots — actually, the dirt around the roots. Food is only as healthy as the soil it grows in. For decades, farmers have dumped chemicals into the soil of our produce and planted genetically modified seeds. Only 1% of currently-owned farmlands are organic. In order to change the status quo, farmers will have to overcome old traditions and financial roadblocks. What’s being done to help farmers transition to a more planet-friendly approach?
In this episode of the Gooder Podcast, Diana Fryc is joined by Robyn O’Brien, Co-founder and Managing Director of rePlant Capital, to discuss how her team is investing in a more organic future. Robyn talks about how rePlant is empowering farmers to produce organic foods, why soil health is essential to restoring nutrition, and the inequality embedded in the US agricultural system.
In this episode we learn:
- Robyn O’Brien explains the roots of rePlant Capital
- The life-changing science of soil health
- The downward spiral of chemical-injected farming
- Why society is slowly turning towards whole foods
- Robyn discusses the racism embedded in the US agricultural system
- Backlash Robyn received from her 2011 TEDx Talk that laid out the truth behind organic vs. chemical farming
- How did Robyn’s previous finance experience lead to where she is today?
- Robyn’s proudest moments in her career
- What’s next for rePlant?
- Removing the seat belt of fear to encourage change for farmers
- Redefining success and failure
About Robyn O’Brien:
Robyn O’Brien is the Co-founder and Managing Director of rePlant Capital, a financial services firm dedicated to assisting US farmers’ transition to regenerative and organic agriculture. rePlant Capital aims to accomplish this by deploying a series of proprietary funds, with the ultimate goal of reversing climate change.
Robyn is a globally recognized voice in the food industry and has been called “food’s Erin Brockovich” by The New York Times. Her TEDx talk (based on her book, The Unhealthy Truth) exposes the shortcomings of our food system and has been viewed millions of times — it’s even influenced policy, legislation, and product formulation. Additionally, Robyn has advised CEOs and executives at multinational CPG companies, startups, and farm organizations for the last 15 years.
Guests Social Media Links:
LinkedIn Robyn O’Brien : https://www.linkedin.com/in/robyn-o-brien-a395b42/
- Robyn O’Brien on LinkedIn | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
- rePlant Capital
- Karen Frame on the Gooder Podcast
- Jane Pinto on the Gooder Podcast
- Ciara Dilley on the Gooder Podcast
- Denise Woodard on LinkedIn
- Danielle Gould on LinkedIn
- Catherine McCord on LinkedIn
- Jubilee Justice
- Diana Fryc on LinkedIn
- Retail Voodoo
Sponsor for this episode…
This episode is brought to you by Retail Voodoo.
Retail Voodoo has been building beloved and dominant brands in the food, wellness, beverage, and fitness CPG industries for over 30 years. They’ve served multinational companies like PepsiCo. and Starbucks, startups like High Key, and everything in between.
Their proven process guides hundreds of mission-driven consumer brands to attract a broad and passionate fan base, crush their categories through growth and innovation, and magnify their social and environmental impact.
So, if you are ready to find a partner that will help your business create a high-impact strategy that gives your brand an advantage, Retail Voodoo is here to help.