Today, the topic of cannabis is widely growing. People love it, hate it, or just misunderstand it. What are companies doing today to magnify the benefits of cannabis and diminish the stigma?
The teams at Verda Bio and Basic Jane are busy researching the medicinal utility of cannabis and working to make wellness products readily available. One of their earliest hemp products was created to relieve knee pain. It started when a co-founder’s mother asked for a solution to her terrible knee arthritis since she couldn’t use NSAIDs anymore. After two years of research and development, they finally created a product the mother loved — as did all her friends. It was so beneficial that they decided to commercialize the product, and the rest is history.
In this episode of the Gooder Podcast, Diana Fryc is joined by Jessica Tonani, the Co-founder and CEO of Verda Bio, to discuss the future of the hemp industry and CPG. Jessica talks about the hurdles the hemp industry currently faces, their goals for the future, and why she left a career in biotech to research hemp. Plus, Jessica shares how Verda Bio’s research and plant-based topicals are positively impacting the community.
In this episode we learn:
- Jessica Tonani discusses the inspiration behind Verda Bio and Basic Jane
- Practical uses for CBD and hemp — despite the stigma
- How did Jessica win an award from Agilent Technologies?
- Jessica describes her journey from a career in biotech to starting a cannabis research company
- How did Jessica navigate the political scene to change the law about research on cannabis?
- Jessica talks about the milestones they’ve achieved at Verda Bio
- Jessica explains the different products available at Verda Bio
- Questions Jessica is asked frequently versus questions that she wishes people would ask
- Barriers to transporting hemp across state lines
- Where does Jessica think the hemp industry is headed in the next five years?
- Jessica gives a shout-out to other inspirational female leaders
- What trends is Jessica keeping her eye on?
About Jessica Tonani:
Jessica Tonani is the Co-founder and CEO of Verda Bio, a cannabis research company. Verda Bio performs genomic, analytical, and agricultural research on cannabis and cannabinoid-based therapeutics.
Jessica Tonani is a biotechnology professional with over two decades of experience in life sciences at firms. Jessica has been named one of the “most interesting people in cannabis” by The Seattle Times and a “cannabis leading lady” by Cannabis Now. Additionally, she has been widely quoted as an expert in publications such as Nature, Science, Popular Science, Bloomberg, High Times, Genome Technologies, and Entrepreneur.
Guests Social Media Links:
LinkedIn Jessica Tonani : https://www.linkedin.com/in/jessica-tonani-18045a/
- Jessica Tonani on LinkedIn
- Verda Bio
- Basic Jane
- Email the Basic Jane team: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kate Ruffing on LinkedIn
- Flashpoint Strategy
- Jane Pinto on LinkedIn
- First Crop
- Jackie Brassington on LinkedIn
- Diana Fryc on LinkedIn
- Retail Voodoo
Sponsor for this episode…
This episode is brought to you by Retail Voodoo.
Retail Voodoo has been building beloved and dominant brands in the food, wellness, beverage, and fitness CPG industries for over 30 years. They’ve served multinational companies like PepsiCo. and Starbucks, startups like High Key, and everything in between.
Their proven process guides hundreds of mission-driven consumer brands to attract a broad and passionate fan base, crush their categories through growth and innovation, and magnify their social and environmental impact.
So, if you are ready to find a partner that will help your business create a high-impact strategy that gives your brand an advantage, Retail Voodoo is here to help.